Many people have a misconception that Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is an expensive process. In fact, it's not as expensive as you may think. You can use free tools to help increase your ranking in the search engines and start generating leads today. Here are some tips on how you can get started with Search Engine Marketing without spending a dime.
1. Write for Google - If you're starting from scratch, then using Google to write articles is one of the best ways to get started. This way you'll be able to reach more people through their search engine. To do this, just sign up with Google AdSense and they will pay you every time someone clicks on a link from your site into Google. In addition, by writing content about things related to your niche, you'll be able to attract more traffic to your website.
2. Use Yahoo! Answers - Yahoo! Answers allows users to post questions to the community and other users can answer them. By answering these questions, you can provide valuable information that other users will find useful. The best part? It's completely free! Just ask yourself what kind of answers you would like to see on your blog or website. Then type in the keywords you want to rank for in the "Title" field. Next, type in your first sentence, something that shows why the question is worth answering. Don't worry about the grammar, since Yahoo! Answers will check it for you. Finally, answer the questions that come up.
3. Find websites similar to yours and leave comments on them. When you comment on blogs that are related to your business, you will appear as a guest author. As a result, you will receive extra exposure for your name and website. One thing to note is that you must be signed up with Google Alerts before commenting so that you will always receive email notifications when someone replies to your comments.
4. Create a Blog - Start creating original content in your blog. By doing so, you will generate new visitors who might end up buying what you offer. The key here is to create good quality content that readers will enjoy reading. Make sure the topics covered relate to your niche, and make sure they are unique to your industry. Also, don't forget SEO, because you need to optimize your page for search engines like Google, Yahoo!, MSN and Ask.
5. Submit Your Site to Digg.com - Digg is a popular social bookmarking website where users submit stories and vote on them. This is another great way to increase your visibility online. You should submit your entire site at once, including all pages. To optimize your submission, try to include as much relevant information as possible. Make sure to describe the story in detail, especially if it has to do with your product line. You could also include images, videos and links that will help improve your ranking. Once you've submitted your site, wait around 48 hours and check out your ranking.
6. Post YouTube Videos - If you have a video on your website, then you should definitely upload it to YouTube. Doing so will allow you to expand your brand awareness even further. You can make your own videos about anything related to your business. After you upload your video, add a description and tags. Then, go back and edit your article on your website and add a link to your YouTube channel.
7. Register With Social Bookmarking Sites - There are many sites that allow users to share interesting content with others. These sites include StumbleUpon and Digg. If you want to gain more influence, then getting involved with social bookmarking sites will help you achieve higher rankings. Try adding these sites to your profile so that people know what you're interested in.
8. Join Forums and Comment - Another great way to increase your credibility online is by joining forums. You can join groups dedicated to various industries, and participate in discussions. As a rule of thumb, you should never spam people. Instead, you should only respond to valid questions that pertain specifically to your industry. Always be polite and courteous when responding to other members.
9. Use Twitter - Twitter is a very popular micro-blogging site that allows users to send 140 character messages called tweets. You could use this site to promote your business. For example, if you sell health products, you could tweet about healthy recipes that people can eat to stay fit. The idea is to promote your business and keep people informed about what you do.
10. Add RSS Feeds - RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It's a way for you to automatically update your website with fresh content. To do this, you simply add a feed onto your website. Visitors will then click to read your latest updates.
11. Buy Backlinks - Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your website. These links can either be internal or external. Internal links are links that point within your site, while external links are those that lead outside your website. Buying backlinks is a viable option for increasing your search ranking. But you have to make sure you buy quality backlinks. Otherwise, you will lose your money.
12. Optimize Your Website - You may have heard the term SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimization. This involves optimizing the design of your website to improve its performance in the search engines. Some factors to consider include the keywords used throughout your site, the number of words used, the length of each article, the size of images, HTML coding, the amount of time spent on your site and the links you use.
13. Optimize Your Content - To increase your search engine ranking, you need to focus on high quality content. If you write an article that contains relevant information about your topic, but it doesn't really interest people, then no one will ever visit your site. So make sure you write informative, yet entertaining articles that will appeal to your target audience.
14. Promote Your Site Through Email Marketing - Using email marketing to promote your website is a good strategy. You could promote your site in newsletters, ezines and even email blasts. The trick is to ensure that your emails contain relevant information that viewers will appreciate.